Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Wash.

So, in light of today and the theme, I wanna talk about servanthood.

Today was One Day Without Shoes. I walked around barefoot for 90 percent of my day, and my feet got filthy. When it finally came time to get ready for bed, I sat on the edge of my bathtub and washed my feet. Which got me thinking. It reminded me of something pretty awesome.

The first summer I met one of my best friends, he washed my feet. One of the things he talked about was how Jesus, as awesome and powerful as He is, always considered Himself a servant. And likewise, so should we. As he told us about it, my friend washed my feet. My gross, stinky feet. But, to this day, it was one of the first real memories I have of one of my best friends. Odds are, he may or may not read this.

But it makes you think. Jesus, in all of His might, still washed feet. Now, back in the day, you walked wherever you went. Some people had sandals, and some just barefooted it. And it wasn't asphalt roads, they were dirt. And sand, and dry. Your feet got filthy. So, when you went to a friend's house, they usually had someone there to wash your feet for you when you entered. This servant was the lowest on the ladder. His entire job involved just, washing feet. Stinky, dirty feet.

Jesus gathered His disciples together one night for dinner. At dinner, He stood up and began go around the table, washing feet. When He gets to Simon Peter, Peter gets kinda angry, feeling that Jesus is too good to wash his feet. If Jesus was to wash his feet, Peter asks him to was his hands and head. Jesus responds with "The one who has bathed does not need to wash, except for his feet, but is completely clean."

Later, Jesus sits back down at the table with them and explains why He did that. "When he had washed their feet and put on his outer garments and resumed his place, he said to them, 'Do you understand what I have done to you? You call me Teacher and Lord, and you are right, for so I am. If I then, your Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet, you also ought to wash one another's feet. For I have given you an example, that you also should do just as I have done to you. Truly, truly, I say to you, a servant is not greater than his master, nor is a messenger greater than the one who sent him' "

Imagine that. A servant is no greater than his master. Despite Jesus being the Son of God, He still recognized that He was just a servant. A humble servant in the Father's hands.

It's pretty amazing. We serve an amazing God. That's just it. We SERVE Him. We are the ones who should be washing His "feet," and yet He sent His Son to wash ours.


For a day in your courts is better
than a thousand elsewhere.
I would rather be a doorkeeper in the house of my God
than dwell in the tents of wickedness.
 (Psalm 84:10 ESV)

Philos, Justin

No comments:

Post a Comment