Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Calvinism.

I was gonna tackle this post last night, but, I didn't. So, here goes.

I believe I am a Calvinist. Let that sink in.

What is a Calvinist? Well, there are a bunch of different definitions. And people have a bunch of differing opinions on Calvinism. But this is my interpretation, based on what I have learned.

I believe that God made me. I believe that when God made me, he could look at my life like a picture, and see one edge of the frame, my birth, to the opposite edge of the frame, my death or His return. The picture looks like, at least in my mind, a big maze like when you were little. They had a starting point, and a destination. Between them were lines that crossed, weaved in and out of each other, and covered the entire page.

I see that as my life. The lines on the picture are choices and "lives" I have the opportunity to live. God drew all the lines, and knows which one I'm going to take. I just have the mindset that I am in control of it. That is the first aspect of Calvinism I believe in. Man has no true free will. Every choice we make, no matter how freely we believe we make it, was predetermined by God. Even the bad choices.

There is an acronym that describes it better than I can. Ladies and Gentlemen, TULIP.

T-Total Depravity: Because of the Fall, or when sin entered the world, every human is born into sin. It surrounds us and we cannot escape using our own device.

U-Unconditional Election: God does not choose who will believe in Him and be His follower by their merit, actions, or His faith in them. Rather, He determines everything by His mercy. And, that means that there are some that walk this Earth that are condemned to face His wrath.

L-Limited Atonement: This is a kinda controversial topic. Basically, what it means is that the propitiation (Big word for the pouring of God's wrath on Jesus at the Cross) and the sacrifice that Jesus made for sin is sufficient for every man, but efficient for those whom God has predetermined. In essence, if God saw fit to give everyone his unconditional grace, and all were chosen by Him, then the sacrifice that Jesus made would be enough to cover everyone's sin. But, because not everyone will be saved, the sacrifice Jesus made is enough regardless. It's kinda confusing.

I-Irresistable Grace: By far, one of the coolest things I believe. In essence, the grace and love of God is so overwhelming, that if you are destined to accept Jesus as your savior, the message of the Gospel and the saving grace that it brings will bring you to Jesus. If God desires for you to be saved, you will be saved.

P-Perseverance of the Saints: Saints here is not what you think. Saints are defined in Calvinism as those who are set apart by God, not men who are holy, or canonized, or whatever. This means that those who are in Christ truly will continue in faith with Him till the end, because God's grace can't be outdone by human efforts. That means that those who fall from faith were never truly in it to begin, or will return one day.

That's TULIP. Another cool thing is what's called Sovereign Grace. Basically, it means that before a perfect God, all of us are condemned. However, God, in His sovereign grace, is merciful to some. It goes back to what I said earlier. You're not saved based on works, or the faith God has in you. Just by His grace and power alone, and because He desires it.

Anyway, that's what I think. For some good books on it, read just about anything by John Piper, R.C. Sproul, A.W. Tozer (Who isn't a Calivinist, per se, but he has some good stuff), David Platt (again, not a Calvinist, but an amazing author). C.S. Lewis was a hair away from John Calvin in doctrine, but did write some amazing stuff. Yes, the guy who wrote the Chronicles of Narnia was a Christian.

Well, that's a start. I have yet to read some books on my Kindle app by these guys, The Pursuit of God (Tozer), Let the Nations Be Glad, and Desiring God (Piper).

Hope that was enlightening to read!


He is the radiance of the glory of God and the exact imprint of his nature, and he upholds the universe by the word of his power. After making purification for sins, he sat down at the right hand of the Majesty on high,
(Hebrews 1:3 ESV)

Philos, (Which, I told my good friend Jim that I would explain. Philos is the Greek word for love for the brothers. Basically, I love you like my family.) Justin.

No comments:

Post a Comment