Thursday, February 3, 2011

One more for the road

I think I will double post today.

Tonight has been pretty interesting. Played some Black Ops, nothing new there, we ordered Pizza Hut, Ally had some friends over to spend the night, because none of us have school tomorrow. And I finally got to watch an episode of An Idiot Abroad. I had it recorded for over a week before I finally sat down to watch it.

Anyways, this show has this guy Karl, who's basically dumb. He travels all over the world, egged on by his friends. He travels to China, basically walking in with the mindset that they do everything backwards and he is too afraid to step out of his comfort zone to enjoy the trip. I'm not gonna ruin what happens in the show for you, but at the very end, something he said kinda stuck with me.

He tells about a Chinese proverb, or as we Americans would call it, a fable. He only explained part of it, but I researched the rest. Here's my rendition of it.

There was once a frog who lived down in a well. Every day he would wake up and look at the circle of sky he saw at the top of the well. To him, that was all there was in the world. A dark shaft with a circle of light at the top. One day a turtle came by and crossed over the opening at the top of the well. The frog introduced himself, as did the turtle. After they talked, the frog invited the turtle down to his well. "You'd like it down here! There's a little patch of sky I get to watch change every day!"

The turtle looked down and laughed. "Frog, do you even know what's up here? I've seen the oceans! Vast bodies of water, as far as the eye can see! I've seen your circle of sky, but I've seen so much more! Why in the world would you live in that hole when you could be doing amazing things up here?"

That's how a lot of American are with their faith, myself included. We are so complacent being in our little wells, that we have no idea how big the world is outside of it. We'd much rather sit in our church services, sing some songs played by a band on stage, hear a message preached, then go home to the rest of the week that isn't consumed by one hour of social fellowship. Maybe, if we're lucky, in that one hour of "Jesus time," the Holy Spirit will move and something will happen. However, that is not how our faith is meant to be lived! We are meant to go, get out to the world. Your faith should not be lived inside the walls of a church building. That's the wrong crowd to be preaching to. I believe we are called. Jesus calls us to go. Go to all the world.


“Be still, and know that I am God. I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth!”
(Psalm 46:10 ESV)

Philos, Justin

No comments:

Post a Comment